5 Great Mosquito Control Tips for Spring
Another winter is in the books and spring is on its way. Spring means the awakening and revival of living things all around us – birds, trees, flowers…and, unfortunately, mosquitoes too. As the local mosquitoes wake up from their winter slumber, you will undoubtedly encounter these pests in growing numbers around your home. Keep them away with these top mosquito control tips for spring.
1. Treat Pools & Ponds
Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, and while we will address other forms of standing water below, we want to start out with those forms of standing water which you have specifically chosen to keep on your property – pools and ponds.
For swimming pools, you can get rid of mosquitoes with proper cleaning and chlorination. Mosquitoes will avoid laying eggs in a chlorinated pool, so always stay up on your swimming pool maintenance.
If you have an ornamental pond in your yard, you can discourage mosquitoes from the area by aerating the water. Mosquitoes favor standing water, so by keeping the water moving you can keep the mosquitoes away.
For larger ponds, you can stock the pond with fish that will kill mosquitoes. It isn’t a perfect solution, but fish like goldfish, koi, killifish and guppies are all known to eat mosquito larvae and therefore will help you keep the mosquito population down.
2. Eliminate Standing Water
The next step in your mosquito control checklist will be to eliminate all the forms of standing water that are non-purposeful in nature. Here are some tips:
- Tip garbage, recycling and other containers upside down so they cannot gather water. Alternatively, drill holes in the bottom so water can drain out.
- Clean the gutters so they are unclogged and make sure they are working properly. If too much water is draining at the downspout, create an extension to carry the water further away.
- Look for areas of your lawn that pool after a good rain. These areas mean you have some dips and slope problems. You can fill them in, or for more serious issues where water pools for days, have the land regraded.
3. Proper Landscaping
Proper landscaping will also help you get rid of mosquitoes in your yard. Mosquitoes find shelter in the shade where they can escape the heat and the sun during the day. Minimizing these areas is a must in mosquito control.
Make sure all of your hedges and bushes are trimmed. Overgrown areas can house hundreds of mosquitoes, so keeping everything trimmed will limit hiding spots.
Mosquitoes also like to hide in the shade of the grass. You can kill mosquitoes and limit their populations by making sure you mow the yard at least once per week.
4. Mosquito-Repellent Gardening
There are also certain plants you can grow to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard. If you have a green thumb, you may consider planting the following varieties known for their mosquito-repellent properties.
- Rose-scented geraniums, which contain citronellal and geraniol, two natural insect repellents.
- Lemon balm, which contains citronellal, geraniol and geranial and is relatively easy to grow from seed.
- Catnip, which contains the essential oil nepetalactone, an oil that Iowa State University researchers found was about ten times more effective than DEET.
5. Invest in a Quality Barrier Mosquito Control System
All of these things will help limit the number of mosquitoes in your yard, but they won’t help you completely get rid of mosquitoes. If you really want to kill mosquitoes and enjoy your property this spring and summer, you need a professional mosquito control system designed to rid your backyard of these unwanted pests.
When evaluating your options, make sure to consider the safety of your family and pets. Many professional mosquito control solutions rely solely on pesticides. Choosing a mosquito control system that employs natural mosquito repellents that reduce pesticide usage, like the Barefoot Mosquito Control System. In addition to being 99% natural, the Barefoot Mosquito control system is effective at removing up to 95% or more of mosquitoes from your property, and it is a great affordable option for homeowners who want to reclaim their outdoor living this spring.
Spring is here and the mosquitoes are waking up from their winter slumber. Follow these tips to get rid of mosquitoes so you can enjoy your yard again without being bothered by these pesky pests!
Say Goodbye to Mosquitoes!
Want to enjoy your backyard again? We can help. Come discover just
how effective & affordable our mosquito control service is. Call us today at 512-400-2008 (Austin) or 713-554-9430 (Houston) or request a quote online!